Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Harrisburg, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Harrisburg, MO. We all have a responsibility to each other to follow the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When someone gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making an incredibly selfish and thoughtless decision. If you or a family member was hurt due to that decision, you have a right to pursue justice in the form of financial compensation. Auto accidents and the injuries that come with them are always unexpected, and the financial repercussions from medical bills and lost wages are immediate and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Harrisburg, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have committed their careers to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal representation that large corporations have. If you were injured because another person made the selfish decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Harrisburg, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving fatalities have diminished by almost half since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Harrisburg, MO roads who jeopardize others by drinking and driving. When they do and end up injuring you, the Harrisburg, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to ensure they are held responsible and you receive the great compensation you need to heal.
According to reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed every day in drunk driving accidents, which amounts to one death every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers confessed driving after having too much to drink in the previous 30 days. The annual cost associated with drunk driving wrecks nationwide totals more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 motor vehicle collision injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost 20 percent of the 1,088 fatal accidents in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 drivers who died and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt by a drunk driver in Harrisburg, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Harrisburg, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of at least .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to the point that a person is rendered incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a bit in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the chance of having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
While it's a good thing that there are stiff penalties for people who drive while intoxicated, it doesn't help you collect compensation for your damages. Once in a while, drunk drivers can get out of a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Harrisburg, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them responsible in your civil case and get you a full financial recovery for your injuries.
Below are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Harrisburg, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | Harrisburg, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is demonstrably responsible for your injuries under the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other parties who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the statutes are somewhat different in each state:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they exhibited:
- Significantly uncoordinated physical behavior
- Significant physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a blood alcohol content of more than .08% alone is not prima facie, or lawfully adequate to prove liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to prove the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling over
- Slurred speech
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is unusual in that the person who caused you harm did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a vendor to be at fault. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone injured by a drunk driver to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can prove that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can show that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant caused the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can prove that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller has to set liability limits for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Harrisburg, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you receive will be based on the gravity of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to deliver you great compensation for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time you could not work due to your injuries
- Lost earning potential if your injuries cause a disability that disallows you from carrying out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, such as
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or needed improvements to your vehicle
- Future estimated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical care
- Property damage, for instance damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Harrisburg, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, determination, and legal skills required to secure you the best possible compensation that you are entitled to.
Other personal injury cases we take in Harrisburg, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Harrisburg, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because someone else made an irresponsible decision, and you do not need to go through this painful process by yourself. The Harrisburg, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are empathetic, skilled, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers accountable in Harrisburg, MO for their reckless actions. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Harrisburg, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.