Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Bourbon, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Bourbon, MO. We all owe it to other people to obey the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When somebody drives drunk, they're making an extremely selfish and irresponsible decision. If you or a family member was harmed because of that decision, you deserve to seek justice through a financial recovery. Auto wrecks and the injuries that accompany them are always unexpected, and the financial effects from medical bills and lost wages are instantaneous and harsh. Halvorsen Klote's Bourbon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have dedicated their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because someone made the awful decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Bourbon, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving fatalities have decreased 45 percent since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Bourbon, MO roads who put others in danger by drinking and driving. When they do and harm you, the Bourbon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make sure they are held responsible and you collect the best possible financial recovery you need to be made whole again.
As stated by data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed each day in drunk driving accidents, which amounts to one person every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people a year. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after having too much to drink within the previous month. The yearly cost of drunk driving accidents in the United States adds up to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 motor vehicle collision injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts found that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal collisions in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 drivers who died and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt because somebody else drove drunk in Bourbon, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Bourbon, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a BAC of more than .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcoholand/or illegal substances to the point that a person is rendered unable to drive safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the chance of having the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
While it may be encouraging that there are severe consequences for people who drive drunk, criminal penalties don't help you get compensation for your injuries. Sometimes, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lower charge. The Bourbon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them liable in your civil case and get you the best possible compensation for your damages.
Below are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Bourbon, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Bourbon, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is clearly liable for your damages according to the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other people who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois each have what are known as dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the rules are a bit different in each state:
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to win a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they displayed:
- Substantially uncoordinated physical action
- Considerable physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a blood alcohol content of over .08% alone is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to support liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers must show the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling over
- Slurred speech
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is uncommon in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a bar to be at fault. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows someone injured by a drunk driver to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can show that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the vendor contributed to the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can prove that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obliged to set liability caps for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual who sustained damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Bourbon, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The recovery you receive will count on the seriousness of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to secure you maximum compensation for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time you could not work because of your injuries
- Lost earning potential if your injuries lead to a disability that disallows you from carrying out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, including
- Emergency room visits
- Follow up doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or necessary upgrades to your home
- Future estimated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical appointments
- Property damage, for instance damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, for instance:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Bourbon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal talent needed to get you the full financial recovery that you deserve.
Other personal injury cases we take in Bourbon, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Bourbon, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made an irresponsible decision, and you do not need to go through this confusing process alone. The Bourbon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are empathetic, skilled, and experienced in holding drunk drivers accountable in Bourbon, MO for their selfish behavior. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Bourbon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.