Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Edwardsville, IL
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Edwardsville, IL. We all have a responsibility to each other to observe the rules of the road and prioritize each other's safety. When another driver gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making an extremely selfish and irresponsible decision. If you or someone you love was injured because of that decision, you deserve to seek justice through a financial recovery. Motor vehicle crashes and the injuries that come with them are always unforeseen, and the financial reverberations from medical costs and lost wages are instant and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Edwardsville, IL drunk driving accident lawyers have devoted their lives to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal representation that large corporations have. If you were injured because someone made the awful decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Edwardsville, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving deaths have decreased by almost half since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Edwardsville, IL roads who put others at risk by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and end up injuring you, the Edwardsville, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to make certain they are held accountable and you are awarded the great compensation you need to heal.
According to reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed each day in drunk driving collisions, which adds up to one death every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers confessed driving after drinking too much in the last 30 days. The yearly cost associated with drunk driving wrecks nationwide adds up to more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 car collision injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total auto wreck injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal collisions in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been injured because another driver drove drunk in Edwardsville, IL, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Edwardsville, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a BAC of more than .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to the point that a person is rendered unable to drive safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the chance of having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Though it's a good thing that there are strict punishments for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you recover compensation for your damages. Occasionally, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Edwardsville, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them to blame in your civil case and get you great compensation for your damages.
Below are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Edwardsville, IL:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is at Fault for My Injuries? | Edwardsville, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is undoubtedly at fault for your damages pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other people who are liable. Missouri and Illinois each have what are referred to dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the laws are a little different in each state:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to win a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they showed:
- Significantly uncoordinated physical action
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC of more than .08% alone is not prima facie, or lawfully adequate to show liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to prove the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurring when they talk
- Dropping their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Substantially impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is relatively liberal in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a vendor to be to blame. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows an injured person to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can demonstrate that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar caused the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can prove that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obliged to set liability caps for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Edwardsville, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you collect will be based on the seriousness of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to deliver you complete compensation for:
Economic damages, including:
- Lost wages for time you could not work because of your injuries
- Lost earning potential if your injuries result in a disability that prohibits you from carrying out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, such as
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors visits
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or necessary upgrades to your vehicle
- Future estimated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical appointments
- Property damage, such as damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Edwardsville, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal talent required to secure you the great financial recovery that you are owed.
Other cases we take in Edwardsville, IL are:
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
- Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Accident Attorney
- Injury Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Edwardsville, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another driver made a selfish decision, and you do not need to navigate this difficult time alone. The Edwardsville, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are compassionate, skilled, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers responsible in Edwardsville, IL for their careless actions. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Edwardsville, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.