Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Winfield, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Winfield, MO. We all owe it to other people to obey the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When someone gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making a ridiculously selfish and thoughtless choice. If you or a family member was hurt because of that decision, you deserve to seek justice through a financial recovery. Car wrecks and the injuries that accompany them are always unforeseen, and the financial reverberations from medical expenses and lost wages are instant and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Winfield, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have dedicated their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal representation that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because somebody made the selfish decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Winfield, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Although drunk driving deaths have diminished by almost half since 1982, there are still far too many people on the Winfield, MO roads who endanger others by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and end up injuring you, the Winfield, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to ensure they are held responsible and you receive the best possible financial recovery you need to heal.
As stated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving wrecks, which adds up to one person every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers confessed driving after having too much to drink in the last 30 days. The annual cost associated with drunk driving wrecks in the United States amounts to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 auto crash injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal crashes in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 drivers who perished and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt by a drunk driver in Winfield, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Winfield, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for someone to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of more than .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While impaired by alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to an extent that makes the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a bit in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the chance of having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine no greater than $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
Even though it's a good thing that there are severe consequences for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you recover compensation for your injuries. Once in a while, drunk drivers can avoid a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Winfield, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them liable in your civil case and get you great compensation for your injuries.
The following are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Winfield, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is at Fault for My Injuries? | Winfield, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is decidedly liable for your injuries pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other people who are to blame. Missouri and Illinois both have what are known as dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the laws are a bit different in each state:
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," which means they exhibited:
- Substantially uncoordinated physical behavior
- Considerable physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC of over .08% alone is not prima facie, or lawfully adequate to demonstrate liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to prove the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is atypical in that the person who caused you injury did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a bar to be accountable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows someone injured by a drunk driver to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can show that the bought alcohol at that specific restaurant.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the bar contributed to the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can prove that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obliged to set liability caps for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each person incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Winfield, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you receive will count on the seriousness of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to deliver you a complete financial recovery for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time you could not work due to your injuries
- Lost earning potential if your injuries lead to an impairment that doesn't allow you to carry out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, including
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or necessary upgrades to your home
- Future approximated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical appointments
- Property damage, for example damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Winfield, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, persistence, and legal knowledge needed to secure you the full financial recovery that you are entitled to.
Other cases we take in Winfield, MO are:
Call HK Law Today
Winfield, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made a careless decision, and you do not need to navigate this trying time by yourself. The Winfield, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are compassionate, skilled, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers liable in Winfield, MO for their reckless actions. We keep you informed throughout the entire legal process, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Winfield, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.