Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Holts Summit, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Holts Summit, MO. We all owe it to other people to obey the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When someone drives drunk, they're making an extremely self-centered and irresponsible choice. If you or someone you love was harmed as a consequence that decision, you are entitled to pursue justice through financial compensation. Motor vehicle wrecks and the subsequent injuries are always unanticipated, and the financial effects from medical bills and lost wages are sudden and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Holts Summit, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have devoted their lives to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal representation that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because another person made the terrible decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Holts Summit, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving fatalities have declined by almost half since 1982, there are still far too many people on the Holts Summit, MO roads who put others in danger by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and harm you, the Holts Summit, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make sure they are held accountable and you receive the great financial recovery you need to be made whole again.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving accidents, which amounts to one death every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people annually. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after drinking too much in the previous month. The annual cost of drunk driving wrecks in the United States is more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 motor vehicle collision injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal collisions in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt by a drunk driver in Holts Summit, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Holts Summit, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of at least .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While under the influence of alcoholand/or illegal substances to an extent that makes the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having the ignition interlock device placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
While it's a good thing that there are harsh penalties for people who drive drunk, it doesn't help you receive compensation for your injuries. Once in a while, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Holts Summit, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them to blame in your civil case and get you the best possible compensation for your injuries.
The following are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Holts Summit, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Holts Summit, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is undoubtedly to blame for your injuries pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other parties who are responsible. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor accountable. Again, the rules are a bit different in each state:
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," which means they displayed:
- Extreme uncoordinated physical behavior
- Considerable physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a blood alcohol content above .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally sufficient to prove liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to demonstrate the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling down
- Slurring when they talk
- Dropping their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Considerably impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is unusual in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a bar to be responsible. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows an injured person to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can prove that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant contributed to the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can prove that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller must to set liability maximums for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who sustained damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Holts Summit, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you collect will count on the significance of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to deliver you great compensation for:
Economic damages, including:
- Lost wages for time you could not work owing to your injuries
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries lead to an impairment that doesn't allow you to carry out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, such as
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors visits
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or needed upgrades to your home
- Future approximated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical treatment
- Property damage, such as damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Holts Summit, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal knowledge required to deliver you the maximum compensation that you are owed.
Other personal injury cases we take in Holts Summit, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Holts Summit, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another driver made an irresponsible decision, and you do not have to go through this difficult process by yourself. The Holts Summit, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are compassionate, skilled, and experienced in holding drunk drivers liable in Holts Summit, MO for their selfish actions. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Holts Summit, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.