Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Cape Girardeau, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Cape Girardeau, MO. We all owe it to each other to respect the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When another driver gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making a terribly selfish and irresponsible decision. If you or a loved one was harmed as a consequence that decision, you are entitled to seek justice through financial compensation. Motor vehicle accidents and the subsequent injuries are always unanticipated, and the financial reverberations from medical bills and lost wages are instant and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Cape Girardeau, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have devoted their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because someone made the awful decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Cape Girardeau, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Although drunk driving fatalities have diminished by almost half since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Cape Girardeau, MO roads who endanger others by drinking and driving. When they do and injure you, the Cape Girardeau, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to make certain they are held responsible and you receive the full compensation you need to be made whole again.
As stated by reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed every day in drunk driving wrecks, which amounts to one death every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after drinking too much in the last 30 days. The annual cost associated with drunk driving crashes in the United States is more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 auto accident injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total motor vehicle accident injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that almost 20 percent of the 1,088 fatal wrecks in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt by a drunk driver in Cape Girardeau, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Cape Girardeau, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of over .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcoholand/or illegal substances to the point that a person is rendered incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a little in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having the ignition interlock device placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Even though it's a good thing that there are strict consequences for people who drive while intoxicated, it doesn't help you collect compensation for your injuries. Once in a while, drunk drivers can get out of a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Cape Girardeau, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them accountable in your civil case and get you maximum compensation for your damages.
The following are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Cape Girardeau, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Cape Girardeau, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is obviously responsible for your damages according to the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other parties who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois both have what we call dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the statutes vary between the two states:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to win a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they displayed:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical action
- Extreme physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC of more than .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally adequate to support liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to prove the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Considerably impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is irregular in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a vendor to be accountable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows someone injured by a drunk driver to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can show that the bought alcohol at that specific restaurant.
- You can show that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant was a factor the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can prove that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller must to set liability limits for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Cape Girardeau, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you collect will be based on the severity of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you full compensation for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries result in a disability that doesn't allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, including
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors appointments
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or required upgrades to your vehicle
- Future approximated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical treatment
- Property damage, for example damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Cape Girardeau, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal knowledge required to deliver you the great financial recovery that you are entitled to.
Other cases we take in Cape Girardeau, MO are:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Call HK Law Today
Cape Girardeau, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because someone else made a reckless decision, and you do not have to go through this confusing process by yourself. The Cape Girardeau, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, talented, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers accountable in Cape Girardeau, MO for their reckless actions. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Cape Girardeau, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.