Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Fenton, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Fenton, MO. We all owe it to each other to observe the rules of the road and respect each other's safety. When another person drives drunk, they're making a ridiculously selfish and thoughtless decision. If you or a family member was injured as a result of that decision, you deserve to seek justice in the form of financial compensation. Motor vehicle crashes and the injuries that come with them are always unforeseen, and the financial effects from medical bills and lost wages are instantaneous and harsh. Halvorsen Klote's Fenton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have committed their lives to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because another person made the terrible decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Fenton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving deaths have diminished 45 percent since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Fenton, MO roads who put others at risk by drinking and driving. When they do and harm you, the Fenton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to make certain they are held accountable and you get the best possible financial recovery you need to heal.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed every day in drunk driving crashes, which amounts to one death every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people annually. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after drinking too much in the previous month. The annual cost associated with drunk driving crashes in the United States adds up to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 car accident injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal crashes in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 drivers who died and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt by a drunk driver in Fenton, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Fenton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a BAC of at least .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcoholand/or illegal substances to the point that a person is rendered unable to drive safely
The two states differ a little in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the chance of having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Although it may be encouraging that there are severe penalties for people who drive while intoxicated, it doesn't help you get compensation for your damages. Occasionally, drunk drivers can avoid a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Fenton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them responsible in your civil case and get you a complete financial recovery for your injuries.
The following are some helpful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Fenton, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | Fenton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is clearly responsible for your damages pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other people who are liable. Missouri and Illinois each have what are known as dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the laws differ between the two states:
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to win a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," which means they displayed:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical behavior
- Significant physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC of more than .08% by itself is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to prove fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to demonstrate the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurring when they talk
- Dropping their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is atypical in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a vendor to be to blame. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone hurt by a drunk driver to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can demonstrate that the bought alcohol at that specific bar.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the vendor contributed to the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can prove that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obligated to set liability limits for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death caused either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Fenton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The recovery you collect will depend on the seriousness of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to deliver you a complete financial recovery for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning potential if your injuries cause a disability that doesn't allow you to carry out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, including
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or necessary improvements to your home
- Future approximated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical appointments
- Property damage, such as damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Fenton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal talent required to secure you the maximum financial recovery that you deserve.
Other cases we take in Fenton, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Fenton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another driver made a reckless decision, and you do not have to navigate this difficult time alone. The Fenton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are empathetic, skilled, and experienced in holding drunk drivers responsible in Fenton, MO for their selfish behavior. We keep you informed throughout the entire legal process, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Fenton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.