Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Ste Genevieve, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Ste Genevieve, MO. We all owe it to each other to follow the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When somebody drives drunk, they're making an extremely self-centered and careless choice. If you or a loved one was hurt due to that decision, you deserve to seek justice through a financial recovery. Car wrecks and the injuries that come with them are always unexpected, and the financial repercussions from medical costs and lost wages are immediate and harsh. Halvorsen Klote's Ste Genevieve, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have pledged their lives to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because somebody made the horrible decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Ste Genevieve, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving fatalities have decreased 45 percent since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Ste Genevieve, MO roads who put others at risk by drinking and driving. When they do and end up injuring you, the Ste Genevieve, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make certain they are held accountable and you collect the best possible compensation you need to be made whole again.
As stated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed every day in drunk driving accidents, which adds up to one person every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after having too much to drink in the previous 30 days. The yearly cost of drunk driving wrecks nationwide totals over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 motor vehicle collision injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts found that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal wrecks in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed because somebody else drove drunk in Ste Genevieve, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Ste Genevieve, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for someone to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a BAC of at least .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While impaired by alcoholand/or illegal substances to the point that a person is rendered incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a little in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Although it's a good thing that there are stiff consequences for drunk drivers, it doesn't help you get compensation for your injuries. Occasionally, drunk drivers can avoid a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Ste Genevieve, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them to blame in your civil case and get you the best possible compensation for your injuries.
The following are some helpful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Ste Genevieve, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Ste Genevieve, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is decidedly at fault for your damages pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other people who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois both have what are called dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the laws vary between the two states:
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they showed:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical behavior
- Considerable physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a BAC above .08% alone is not prima facie, or lawfully adequate to show liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to demonstrate the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurring when they talk
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Substantially impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is uncommon in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a bar to be at fault. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows someone hurt by a drunk driver to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can prove that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can show that the alcohol sold by the bar contributed to the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can prove that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obliged to set liability caps for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each person incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death caused either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Ste Genevieve, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you receive will count on the seriousness of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to secure you a full financial recovery for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries lead to an impairment that doesn't allow you to carry out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, for example
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors appointments
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or required improvements to your home
- Future approximated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical treatment
- Property damage, for example damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Ste Genevieve, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal knowledge required to win you the great financial recovery that you deserve.
Other cases we take in Ste Genevieve, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Ste Genevieve, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because someone else made an irresponsible decision, and you do not have to navigate this trying time alone. The Ste Genevieve, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, talented, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers accountable in Ste Genevieve, MO for their irresponsible behavior. We keep you informed throughout the entire legal process, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Ste Genevieve, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.