Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Wardsville, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Wardsville, MO. We all owe it to each other to obey the rules of the road and prioritize each other's safety. When someone drives drunk, they're making an extremely self-centered and irresponsible choice. If you or someone you love was hurt because of that decision, you are entitled to seek justice in the form of a financial recovery. Motor vehicle wrecks and the subsequent injuries are always unforeseen, and the financial repercussions from medical expenses and lost wages are sudden and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Wardsville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have pledged their careers to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal representation that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because someone made the selfish decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Wardsville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving deaths have declined by almost half since 1982, there are still far too many people on the Wardsville, MO roads who endanger others by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and hurt you, the Wardsville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to ensure they are held responsible and you are awarded the best possible compensation you need to be made whole again.
According to reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving accidents, which adds up to one person every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people annually. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after drinking too much within the previous month. The yearly cost associated with drunk driving wrecks in the United States totals over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 motor vehicle accident injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts found that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal wrecks in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 drivers who perished and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed because somebody else drove drunk in Wardsville, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Wardsville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of over .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While impaired by alcoholand/or illegal substances to an extent that renders the person unable to drive safely
The two states differ a bit in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having the ignition interlock device placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Although it may be encouraging that there are harsh penalties for drunk drivers, it doesn't help you get compensation for your damages. Sometimes, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lower charge. The Wardsville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them accountable in your civil case and get you maximum compensation for your injuries.
Below are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Wardsville, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | Wardsville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is undoubtedly responsible for your injuries according to the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other parties who are responsible. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor accountable. Again, the rules vary between the two states:
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they displayed:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical action
- Considerable physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a blood alcohol content of over .08% alone is not prima facie, or legally sufficient to prove liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to show the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Considerably impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is irregular in that the person who caused you injury did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a restaurant to be liable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone hurt by a drunk driver to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can demonstrate that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant was a factor the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can show that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller must to set liability limits for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual who sustained damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death caused either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Wardsville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you collect will count on the gravity of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you the best possible financial recovery for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning potential if your injuries result in a disability that prohibits you from performing the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, including
- Emergency room visits
- Follow up doctors visits
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or required upgrades to your home
- Future estimated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical appointments
- Property damage, for example damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for instance:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Wardsville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal talent required to win you the maximum compensation that you are entitled to.
Other cases we take in Wardsville, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Wardsville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another driver made a careless decision, and you do not need to go through this difficult process by yourself. The Wardsville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are understanding, talented, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers accountable in Wardsville, MO for their selfish behavior. We keep you informed throughout the entire legal process, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Wardsville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.