Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Macon, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Macon, MO. We all owe it to other people to act in accordance with the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When another driver drives drunk, they're making an extremely self-centered and thoughtless decision. If you or a family member was hurt as a result of that decision, you are entitled to pursue justice through a financial recovery. Auto crashes and the injuries that accompany them are always unexpected, and the financial hardships from medical costs and lost wages are sudden and harsh. Halvorsen Klote's Macon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have pledged their lives to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal representation that large corporations have. If you were injured because another person made the awful decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Macon, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Although drunk driving fatalities have decreased 45 percent since 1982, there are still far too many people on the Macon, MO roads who endanger others by drinking and driving. When they do and end up injuring you, the Macon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to ensure they are held responsible and you are awarded the best possible compensation you need to heal.
As stated by data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving wrecks, which amounts to one death every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people a year. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after drinking too much in the last 30 days. The yearly cost of drunk driving collisions nationwide adds up to more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 car collision injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal accidents in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt because another person drove drunk in Macon, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Macon, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of at least .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While under the influence of alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to the point that a person is rendered unable to drive safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having the ignition interlock device placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
Although it's a good thing that there are harsh consequences for drunk drivers, it doesn't help you recover compensation for your damages. Occasionally, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lower charge. The Macon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them accountable in your civil case and get you a full financial recovery for your damages.
The following are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Macon, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is at Fault for My Injuries? | Macon, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is undoubtedly to blame for your damages pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other parties who are liable. Missouri and Illinois both have what we call dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the laws differ between the two states:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," which means they exhibited:
- Extreme uncoordinated physical behavior
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a BAC of more than .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally adequate to demonstrate liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to prove the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Substantially impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is irregular in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a restaurant to be to blame. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits an injured person to file a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can show that the bought alcohol at that specific bar.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the vendor caused the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can prove that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obligated to set liability limits for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death caused either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Macon, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you receive will count on the gravity of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you a complete financial recovery for:
Economic damages, including:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning potential if your injuries result in a disability that doesn't allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, for instance
- Emergency room visits
- Follow up doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or required upgrades to your home
- Future approximated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical treatment
- Property damage, such as damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Macon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, determination, and legal skills required to get you the full compensation that you are owed.
Other cases we take in Macon, MO are:
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
- Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Accident Attorney
- Injury Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Macon, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another driver made a reckless decision, and you do not have to go through this confusing process alone. The Macon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are understanding, skilled, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers responsible in Macon, MO for their reckless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the entire legal process, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Macon, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.