Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Pevely, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Pevely, MO. We all owe it to each other to obey the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When someone gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making a terribly selfish and reckless choice. If you or a loved one was harmed as a consequence that decision, you have a right to seek justice through a financial recovery. Auto crashes and the injuries that come with them are always unforeseen, and the financial reverberations from medical expenses and lost wages are sudden and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Pevely, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have committed their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal representation that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because another person made the terrible decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Pevely, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving fatalities have diminished by almost half since 1982, there are still far too many people on the Pevely, MO roads who jeopardize others by drinking and driving. When they do and injure you, the Pevely, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make certain they are held accountable and you collect the maximum financial recovery you need to be made whole again.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed every day in drunk driving crashes, which adds up to one person every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people a year. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after drinking too much within the last 30 days. The annual cost associated with drunk driving crashes nationwide amounts to more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 motor vehicle collision injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal wrecks in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed by a drunk driver in Pevely, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Pevely, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a BAC of more than .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to an extent that makes the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Even though it may be encouraging that there are severe consequences for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you recover compensation for your injuries. Occasionally, drunk drivers can get out of a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Pevely, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them accountable in your civil case and get you the best possible financial recovery for your damages.
Below are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Pevely, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Pevely, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is obviously liable for your injuries under the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other parties who are liable. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the statutes vary between the two states:
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they showed:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical action
- Extreme physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC of over .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally adequate to demonstrate fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to show the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurring when they talk
- Dropping their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Substantially impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is relatively liberal in that the person who caused you harm did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a restaurant to be at fault. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows an injured person to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can demonstrate that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar contributed to the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can show that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obligated to set liability limits for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who sustained damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Pevely, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The recovery you receive will count on the gravity of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to deliver you full compensation for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time you could not work as a result of your injuries
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries result in an impairment that prohibits you from carrying out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, for instance
- Emergency room visits
- Follow up doctors visits
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or necessary upgrades to your home
- Future estimated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical treatment
- Property damage, such as damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Pevely, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal knowledge necessary to secure you the full compensation that you deserve.
Other personal injury cases we take in Pevely, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Pevely, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made an irresponsible decision, and you do not have to navigate this trying time by yourself. The Pevely, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, talented, and experienced in holding drunk drivers accountable in Pevely, MO for their careless actions. We keep you informed throughout the whole legal process, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Pevely, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.