Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Creve Coeur, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Creve Coeur, MO. We all owe it to other people to respect the rules of the road and take into consideration each other's safety. When another driver gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making an incredibly self-centered and irresponsible decision. If you or a loved one was harmed as a consequence that decision, you are entitled to pursue justice through a financial recovery. Motor vehicle wrecks and their injuries are always unforeseen, and the financial effects from medical expenses and lost wages are instant and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Creve Coeur, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have committed their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large corporations have. If you were injured because another person made the horrible decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Creve Coeur, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving fatalities have diminished by almost half since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Creve Coeur, MO roads who endanger others by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and injure you, the Creve Coeur, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and ensure they are held accountable and you collect the maximum compensation you need to heal.
As stated by data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed each day in drunk driving accidents, which amounts to one death every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people annually. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers confessed driving after drinking too much within the last 30 days. The annual cost of drunk driving crashes nationwide is over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 motor vehicle crash injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost 20 percent of the 1,088 fatal accidents in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 drivers who perished and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed by a drunk driver in Creve Coeur, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Creve Coeur, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for someone to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of over .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While impaired by alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to an extent that renders the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a little in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having the ignition interlock device placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
While it may be encouraging that there are severe penalties for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you collect compensation for your injuries. Sometimes, drunk drivers can avoid a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Creve Coeur, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them responsible in your civil case and get you a full financial recovery for your injuries.
The following are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Creve Coeur, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is to Blame for My Injuries? | Creve Coeur, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is unmistakably liable for your injuries according to the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other parties who are responsible. Missouri and Illinois both have what are known as dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the laws are somewhat different in each state:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must demonstrate two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they displayed:
- Substantially uncoordinated physical action
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC of more than .08% by itself is not prima facie, or lawfully adequate to support fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to show the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Considerably impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is uncommon in that the person who caused you injury did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a bar to be to blame. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone injured by a drunk driver to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can demonstrate that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant contributed to the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller has to set liability caps for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual who sustained damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Creve Coeur, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you collect will depend on the significance of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you the best possible compensation for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries result in an impairment that disallows you from carrying out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, for instance
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or required improvements to your home
- Future estimated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical appointments
- Property damage, such as damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Creve Coeur, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal talent required to secure you the full compensation that you are entitled to.
Other personal injury cases we take in Creve Coeur, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Creve Coeur, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because someone else made a careless decision, and you do not need to go through this confusing process alone. The Creve Coeur, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, talented, and experienced in holding drunk drivers liable in Creve Coeur, MO for their selfish behavior. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Creve Coeur, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.