Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Festus, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Festus, MO. We all have a obligation to other people to obey the rules of the road and respect each other's safety. When somebody gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making an extremely self-centered and reckless decision. If you or a loved one was hurt because of that decision, you are entitled to seek justice through financial compensation. Auto crashes and the injuries that come with them are always unforeseen, and the financial effects from medical bills and lost wages are instantaneous and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Festus, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have devoted their careers to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal representation that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because another person made the terrible decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Festus, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Although drunk driving fatalities have decreased by almost half since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Festus, MO roads who endanger others by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and injure you, the Festus, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to make certain they are held accountable and you collect the great compensation you need to be made whole again.
According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed each day in drunk driving accidents, which adds up to one person every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people a year. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after drinking too much within the previous month. The annual cost of drunk driving accidents nationwide is over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 car crash injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal wrecks in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt by a drunk driver in Festus, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Festus, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of at least .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While impaired by alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to an extent that makes the person unable to drive safely
The two states differ a little in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the chance of having the ignition interlock device placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Though it's a good thing that there are stiff penalties for people who drive while intoxicated, criminal penalties don't help you get compensation for your injuries. Sometimes, drunk drivers can avoid a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Festus, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them accountable in your civil case and get you a complete financial recovery for your damages.
The following are some helpful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Festus, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is at Fault for My Injuries? | Festus, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is obviously to blame for your injuries according to the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other parties who are to blame. Missouri and Illinois each have what are referred to dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor accountable. Again, the statutes are a bit different in each state:
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to win a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," which means they displayed:
- Extreme uncoordinated physical action
- Significant physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC of over .08% alone is not prima facie, or legally sufficient to demonstrate fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers must demonstrate the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling over
- Slurring when they talk
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is unusual in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" for a vendor to be to blame. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows an injured person to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can prove that the bought alcohol at that specific bar.
- You can show that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant contributed to the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can show that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is required to set liability caps for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual who sustained damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Festus, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you receive will count on the gravity of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to win you the best possible financial recovery for:
Economic damages, including:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning potential if your injuries result in a disability that doesn't allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, for instance
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors visits
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or necessary upgrades to your vehicle
- Future estimated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical appointments
- Property damage, for example damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Festus, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal talent needed to get you the great financial recovery that you are owed.
Other cases we take in Festus, MO are:
Call HK Law Today
Festus, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made a selfish decision, and you do not have to navigate this difficult time by yourself. The Festus, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are empathetic, talented, and experienced in holding drunk drivers liable in Festus, MO for their careless actions. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Festus, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.