Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Chesterfield, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Chesterfield, MO. We all have a obligation to other people to respect the rules of the road and prioritize each other's safety. When another person drives drunk, they're making an extremely self-centered and careless choice. If you or someone you love was hurt due to that decision, you have a right to pursue justice in the form of financial compensation. Motor vehicle accidents and the injuries that accompany them are always unforeseen, and the financial hardships from medical expenses and lost wages are immediate and harsh. Halvorsen Klote's Chesterfield, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have committed their careers to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large corporations have. If you were injured because somebody made the selfish decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Chesterfield, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving deaths have diminished by almost half since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Chesterfield, MO roads who put others in danger by drinking and driving. When they do and injure you, the Chesterfield, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make sure they are held responsible and you receive the full compensation you need to be made whole again.
According to reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving crashes, which amounts to one person every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people annually. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after having too much to drink in the previous month. The annual cost of drunk driving crashes nationwide totals more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 motor vehicle wreck injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total motor vehicle crash injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that almost 20 percent of the 1,088 fatal collisions in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed by a drunk driver in Chesterfield, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Chesterfield, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of more than .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to the point that a person is rendered incapable of driving safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Even though it's a good thing that there are severe consequences for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you recover compensation for your injuries. Occasionally, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Chesterfield, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them accountable in your civil case and get you a complete financial recovery for your injuries.
Below are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Chesterfield, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is at Fault for My Injuries? | Chesterfield, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is clearly to blame for your damages pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other people who are to blame. Missouri and Illinois both have what we call dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor accountable. Again, the rules are somewhat different in each state:
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," which means they showed:
- Substantially uncoordinated physical action
- Extreme physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a blood alcohol content of over .08% alone is not prima facie, or lawfully adequate to support fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to prove the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling over
- Slurred speech
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Significantly impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is relatively liberal in that the person who caused you harm did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a restaurant to be accountable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone hurt by a drunk driver to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can demonstrate that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar was a factor the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can show that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller must to set liability maximums for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Chesterfield, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you collect will count on the severity of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you maximum compensation for:
Economic damages, such as:
- Lost wages for time you could not work due to your injuries
- Lost earning potential if your injuries cause a disability that prohibits you from carrying out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, for example
- Emergency room visits
- Follow up doctors visits
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or necessary improvements to your home
- Future approximated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical treatment
- Property damage, for example damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Chesterfield, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal knowledge needed to win you the best possible compensation that you deserve.
Other personal injury cases we take in Chesterfield, MO are:
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
Call HK Law Today
Chesterfield, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another person made a reckless decision, and you do not have to navigate this difficult time by yourself. The Chesterfield, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are empathetic, talented, and experienced in holding drunk drivers accountable in Chesterfield, MO for their careless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the whole legal process, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Chesterfield, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.