Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Boonville, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Boonville, MO. We all owe it to each other to act in accordance with the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When another person drives drunk, they're making a ridiculously self-centered and irresponsible choice. If you or a loved one was hurt as a consequence that decision, you are entitled to pursue justice through a financial recovery. Motor vehicle crashes and the injuries that come with them are always unanticipated, and the financial reverberations from medical bills and lost wages are instantaneous and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Boonville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have pledged their lives to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal representation that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because someone made the horrible decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Boonville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Although drunk driving fatalities have decreased 45 percent since 1982, there are still far too many people on the Boonville, MO roads who endanger others by drinking and driving. When they do and end up injuring you, the Boonville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to make sure they are held responsible and you receive the full financial recovery you need to be made whole again.
According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die every day in drunk driving wrecks, which amounts to one person every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after having too much to drink in the last 30 days. The annual cost associated with drunk driving crashes nationwide amounts to more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 auto accident injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal accidents in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt by a drunk driver in Boonville, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Boonville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a BAC of over .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While under the influence of alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to the point that a person is rendered unable to drive safely
The two states differ a little in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine no greater than $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Even though it's a good thing that there are stiff punishments for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you receive compensation for your injuries. Occasionally, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Boonville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them liable in your civil case and get you complete compensation for your damages.
Below are some helpful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Boonville, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Boonville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is obviously to blame for your damages under the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other parties who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor accountable. Again, the statutes are a bit different in each state:
Following Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," which means they exhibited:
- Substantially uncoordinated physical action
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a BAC of over .08% alone is not prima facie, or legally adequate to show fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to prove the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is irregular in that the person who caused you injury did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" for a bar to be to blame. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone injured by a drunk driver to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can show that the bought alcohol at that specific bar.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the bar contributed to the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can show that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obligated to set liability caps for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Boonville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you receive will count on the severity of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you maximum compensation for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning potential if your injuries cause a disability that prohibits you from performing the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, including
- Emergency room visits
- Follow up doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or needed improvements to your home
- Future approximated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical care
- Property damage, such as damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Boonville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal skills necessary to get you the great financial recovery that you are entitled to.
Other cases we take in Boonville, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Boonville, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made a reckless decision, and you do not have to go through this painful process by yourself. The Boonville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are compassionate, skilled, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers liable in Boonville, MO for their careless actions. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Boonville, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.