Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Camdenton, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Camdenton, MO. We all have a obligation to each other to obey the rules of the road and prioritize each other's safety. When another person gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making an extremely self-centered and careless decision. If you or a family member was injured because of that decision, you have a right to pursue justice through financial compensation. Car wrecks and the subsequent injuries are always unanticipated, and the financial consequences from medical expenses and lost wages are immediate and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Camdenton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have dedicated their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because somebody made the selfish decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Camdenton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving deaths have decreased by almost half since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Camdenton, MO roads who endanger others by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and harm you, the Camdenton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to ensure they are held accountable and you are awarded the maximum compensation you need to be made whole again.
According to reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving wrecks, which amounts to one person every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people annually. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers confessed driving after drinking too much in the previous month. The yearly cost associated with drunk driving collisions in the United States is over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 motor vehicle collision injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts found that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal collisions in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt because someone else drove drunk in Camdenton, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Camdenton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of more than .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcoholand/or illegal substances to the point that a person is rendered incapable of driving safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
While it may be encouraging that there are stiff consequences for people who drive while intoxicated, it doesn't help you get compensation for your damages. Occasionally, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Camdenton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them responsible in your civil case and get you the best possible financial recovery for your injuries.
The following are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Camdenton, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is at Fault for My Injuries? | Camdenton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is unmistakably to blame for your injuries pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other parties who are responsible. Missouri and Illinois both have what are known as dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the statutes vary between the two states:
Following Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they displayed:
- Extreme uncoordinated physical action
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a BAC above .08% alone is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to demonstrate fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers must demonstrate the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurring when they talk
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Significantly impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is uncommon in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a vendor to be liable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows an injured person to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can demonstrate that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the bar contributed to the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller has to set liability maximums for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Camdenton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you receive will count on the gravity of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to win you great compensation for:
Economic damages, for instance:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning potential if your injuries result in an impairment that prohibits you from carrying out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, for example
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors visits
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or required improvements to your vehicle
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical care
- Property damage, for instance damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for instance:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Camdenton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal knowledge required to win you the best possible financial recovery that you are owed.
Other personal injury cases we take in Camdenton, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Camdenton, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because someone else made a selfish decision, and you do not need to navigate this trying time alone. The Camdenton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are compassionate, skilled, and experienced in holding drunk drivers responsible in Camdenton, MO for their reckless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the entire legal process, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Camdenton, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.