Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Hannibal, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Hannibal, MO. We all have a duty to each other to obey the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When another person gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making an incredibly selfish and careless decision. If you or someone you love was hurt as a consequence that decision, you have a right to pursue justice in the form of financial compensation. Car wrecks and the injuries that accompany them are always unanticipated, and the financial consequences from medical costs and lost wages are instant and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Hannibal, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have pledged their lives to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because another person made the horrible decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Hannibal, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving fatalities have diminished by almost half since 1982, there are still far too many people on the Hannibal, MO roads who put others at risk by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and injure you, the Hannibal, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to make sure they are held responsible and you get the best possible compensation you need to heal.
According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed each day in drunk driving crashes, which amounts to one death every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after drinking too much within the previous 30 days. The yearly cost of drunk driving accidents in the United States is over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 motor vehicle crash injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total motor vehicle crash injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal crashes in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 drivers who perished and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt because another driver drove drunk in Hannibal, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Hannibal, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of at least .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While under the influence of alcoholand/or illegal substances to an extent that makes the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
While it's a good thing that there are severe punishments for people who drive while intoxicated, it doesn't help you collect compensation for your damages. Sometimes, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Hannibal, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them responsible in your civil case and get you a great financial recovery for your injuries.
Below are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Hannibal, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is to Blame for My Injuries? | Hannibal, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is clearly at fault for your injuries under the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other parties who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois each have what are known as dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the laws vary between the two states:
Following Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must demonstrate two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," which means they displayed:
- Extreme uncoordinated physical behavior
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC of over .08% by itself is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to show fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to prove the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurring when they talk
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Significantly impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is atypical in that the person who caused you injury did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a vendor to be liable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone injured by a drunk driver to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can show that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the vendor caused the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obligated to set liability limits for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual who sustained damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Hannibal, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you receive will count on the seriousness of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to deliver you a great financial recovery for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time you could not work because of your injuries
- Lost earning potential if your injuries lead to a disability that disallows you from carrying out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, for instance
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or required improvements to your home
- Future estimated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical care
- Property damage, such as damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Hannibal, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal skills necessary to win you the maximum financial recovery that you deserve.
Other personal injury cases we take in Hannibal, MO are:
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
- Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Accident Attorney
- Injury Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Hannibal, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another person made a careless decision, and you do not need to navigate this difficult time by yourself. The Hannibal, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are compassionate, talented, and experienced in holding drunk drivers accountable in Hannibal, MO for their careless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the whole legal process, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Hannibal, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.