Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Chamois, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Chamois, MO. We all have a duty to other people to obey the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When another driver drives drunk, they're making an extremely selfish and careless choice. If you or a family member was hurt because of that decision, you are entitled to seek justice in the form of financial compensation. Motor vehicle wrecks and their injuries are always unanticipated, and the financial consequences from medical expenses and lost wages are instantaneous and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Chamois, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have committed their lives to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large corporations have. If you were injured because somebody made the terrible decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Chamois, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving fatalities have declined by almost half since 1982, there are still far too many people on the Chamois, MO roads who put others at risk by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and harm you, the Chamois, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make sure they are held accountable and you are awarded the best possible financial recovery you need to heal.
As stated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die every day in drunk driving wrecks, which adds up to one death every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers confessed driving after drinking too much in the previous 30 days. The yearly cost associated with drunk driving wrecks in the United States adds up to more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 motor vehicle wreck injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts found that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal wrecks in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been injured by a drunk driver in Chamois, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Chamois, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of at least .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While impaired by alcoholand/or illegal substances to the point that a person is rendered incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a bit in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine no greater than $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Though it may be encouraging that there are severe punishments for people who drive drunk, it doesn't help you receive compensation for your injuries. Occasionally, drunk drivers can avoid a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Chamois, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them to blame in your civil case and get you a full financial recovery for your injuries.
The following are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Chamois, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | Chamois, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is unmistakably responsible for your injuries under the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other parties who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois both have what we call dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the rules vary between the two states:
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," which means they exhibited:
- Extreme uncoordinated physical action
- Significant physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a blood alcohol content of more than .08% alone is not prima facie, or lawfully adequate to support liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to show the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling over
- Slurred speech
- Dropping their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Significantly impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is uncommon in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a bar to be liable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows someone injured by a drunk driver to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can demonstrate that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant contributed to the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can show that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is required to set liability maximums for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each person incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Chamois, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The recovery you collect will count on the severity of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to deliver you the best possible financial recovery for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time you could not work due to your injuries
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries cause an impairment that prohibits you from performing the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, such as
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or needed improvements to your vehicle
- Future estimated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical care
- Property damage, such as damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Chamois, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal skills necessary to win you the maximum financial recovery that you deserve.
Other cases we take in Chamois, MO are:
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Call HK Law Today
Chamois, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another person made a selfish decision, and you do not have to go through this painful process by yourself. The Chamois, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are understanding, skilled, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers accountable in Chamois, MO for their reckless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Chamois, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.
Attorney at Law
Samantha Orlowski is a practicing attorney Halvorsen Klote.
Samantha joined Halvorsen Klote in 2018 as a law clerk and has since become a practicing attorney. Sam's number one priority is to provide individualized experiences for each client to achieve the best results.