Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Sedalia, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Sedalia, MO. We all owe it to other people to obey the rules of the road and prioritize each other's safety. When somebody gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making a terribly selfish and reckless choice. If you or a loved one was hurt as a result of that decision, you deserve to seek justice in the form of a financial recovery. Motor vehicle crashes and their injuries are always unexpected, and the financial hardships from medical costs and lost wages are immediate and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Sedalia, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have pledged their careers to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal advocacy that large corporations have. If you were injured because another person made the awful decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Sedalia, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving fatalities have declined 45 percent since 1982, there are still far too many people on the Sedalia, MO roads who jeopardize others by drinking and driving. When they do and injure you, the Sedalia, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to make sure they are held accountable and you get the full financial recovery you need to be made whole again.
According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving wrecks, which amounts to one death every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after having too much to drink within the previous 30 days. The annual cost of drunk driving collisions in the United States adds up to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 auto collision injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal accidents in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 drivers who perished and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt by a drunk driver in Sedalia, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Sedalia, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a BAC of more than .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While impaired by alcoholand/or illegal substances to an extent that makes the person unable to drive safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine no greater than $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
While it may be encouraging that there are harsh consequences for drunk drivers, it doesn't help you receive compensation for your injuries. Occasionally, drunk drivers can get out of a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Sedalia, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them liable in your civil case and get you the best possible financial recovery for your damages.
Below are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Sedalia, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Sedalia, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is obviously responsible for your injuries according to the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other people who are to blame. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the rules are somewhat different in each state:
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to win a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," which means they exhibited:
- Extreme uncoordinated physical action
- Considerable physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a blood alcohol content above .08% by itself is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to show fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to demonstrate the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Significantly impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is atypical in that the person who caused you injury did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" for a bar to be responsible. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows someone injured by a drunk driver to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can demonstrate that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can show that the alcohol sold by the vendor contributed to the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can prove that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller must to set liability caps for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who sustained damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death caused either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Sedalia, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you receive will depend on the significance of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you complete compensation for:
Economic damages, such as:
- Lost wages for time you could not work due to your injuries
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries cause a disability that doesn't allow you to perform the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, including
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or required improvements to your vehicle
- Future approximated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical appointments
- Property damage, for instance damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Sedalia, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal skills necessary to win you the full compensation that you are owed.
Other cases we take in Sedalia, MO are:
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Call HK Law Today
Sedalia, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because someone else made a reckless decision, and you do not need to go through this painful process alone. The Sedalia, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are compassionate, skilled, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers liable in Sedalia, MO for their selfish actions. We keep you informed throughout the entire legal process, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Sedalia, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.