Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Ballwin, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Ballwin, MO. We all owe it to other people to obey the rules of the road and prioritize each other's safety. When someone gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making an incredibly selfish and irresponsible decision. If you or a loved one was injured because of that decision, you have a right to pursue justice in the form of financial compensation. Car crashes and the subsequent injuries are always unanticipated, and the financial consequences from medical costs and lost wages are immediate and harsh. Halvorsen Klote's Ballwin, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have dedicated their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal representation that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because someone made the terrible decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Ballwin, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving deaths have decreased 45 percent since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Ballwin, MO roads who put others in danger by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and injure you, the Ballwin, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make sure they are held accountable and you collect the maximum compensation you need to be made whole again.
According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die every day in drunk driving collisions, which adds up to one death every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people a year. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after drinking too much in the last 30 days. The yearly cost of drunk driving collisions in the United States amounts to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 car wreck injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total motor vehicle wreck injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that almost 20 percent of the 1,088 fatal accidents in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 drivers who perished and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt because another person drove drunk in Ballwin, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Ballwin, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of at least .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While under the influence of alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to an extent that makes the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine not exceeding $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
While it's a good thing that there are strict punishments for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you recover compensation for your damages. Occasionally, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Ballwin, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them accountable in your civil case and get you the best possible compensation for your damages.
The following are some helpful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Ballwin, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is at Fault for My Injuries? | Ballwin, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is clearly responsible for your injuries under the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other people who are responsible. Missouri and Illinois both have what we call dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor accountable. Again, the rules are a little different in each state:
Pursuant to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must demonstrate two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," which means they showed:
- Extreme uncoordinated physical behavior
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a BAC of over .08% by itself is not prima facie, or lawfully sufficient to prove fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to prove the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurring when they talk
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Significantly impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is atypical in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a restaurant to be to blame. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone harmed by a drunk driver to file a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can show that the bought alcohol at that specific restaurant.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the vendor contributed to the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obligated to set liability caps for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those limits are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death caused either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Ballwin, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you receive will depend on the severity of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to win you a full financial recovery for:
Economic damages, such as:
- Lost wages for time you could not work due to your injuries
- Lost earning potential if your injuries lead to a disability that disallows you from performing the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, for example
- Emergency room visits
- Follow up doctors visits
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or needed improvements to your vehicle
- Future approximated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical appointments
- Property damage, for instance damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, for instance:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Ballwin, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal knowledge needed to get you the best possible financial recovery that you deserve.
Other personal injury cases we take in Ballwin, MO are:
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
- Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Accident Attorney
- Injury Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Ballwin, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made an irresponsible decision, and you do not need to go through this difficult process alone. The Ballwin, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are empathetic, skilled, and experienced in holding drunk drivers accountable in Ballwin, MO for their selfish actions. We keep you informed throughout the whole legal process, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Ballwin, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.