Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Jefferson City, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Jefferson City, MO. We all have a obligation to other people to obey the rules of the road and value each other's safety. When somebody gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making a ridiculously selfish and irresponsible decision. If you or a loved one was harmed as a result of that decision, you are entitled to seek justice in the form of financial compensation. Car wrecks and the subsequent injuries are always unanticipated, and the financial reverberations from medical bills and lost wages are sudden and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Jefferson City, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have devoted their careers to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because another person made the selfish decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Jefferson City, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving fatalities have decreased by almost half since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Jefferson City, MO roads who endanger others by drinking and driving. When they do and end up injuring you, the Jefferson City, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and ensure they are held accountable and you receive the best possible financial recovery you need to heal.
As stated by data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving accidents, which adds up to one death every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people a year. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after having too much to drink in the previous 30 days. The yearly cost of drunk driving wrecks nationwide adds up to more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 motor vehicle wreck injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost 20 percent of the 1,088 fatal collisions in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 drivers who died and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed because someone else drove drunk in Jefferson City, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Jefferson City, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a BAC of at least .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While impaired by alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to the point that a person is rendered incapable of driving safely
The two states differ a bit in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
While it may be encouraging that there are strict penalties for drunk drivers, it doesn't help you recover compensation for your damages. Occasionally, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lower charge. The Jefferson City, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them liable in your civil case and get you maximum compensation for your injuries.
Below are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Jefferson City, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Jefferson City, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is undoubtedly to blame for your damages under the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other parties who are responsible. Missouri and Illinois both have what we call dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the statutes differ between the two states:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," which means they exhibited:
- Significantly uncoordinated physical action
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a BAC of more than .08% by itself is not prima facie, or lawfully adequate to show liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to prove the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is uncommon in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a bar to be liable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone harmed by a drunk driver to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can show that the bought alcohol at that specific bar.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant contributed to the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller has to set liability caps for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual who sustained damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Jefferson City, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The recovery you receive will be based on the seriousness of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to deliver you the best possible compensation for:
Economic damages, including:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning potential if your injuries lead to a disability that disallows you from carrying out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, for example
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or required upgrades to your vehicle
- Future approximated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs related to your medical appointments
- Property damage, for instance damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Jefferson City, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal talent needed to get you the best possible compensation that you are owed.
Other personal injury cases we take in Jefferson City, MO are:
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
- Slip and Fall Lawyer
- Car Accidents Law Firm
- Personal Injury Attorney
- Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Accident Attorney
- Injury Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Jefferson City, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because someone else made a reckless decision, and you do not have to navigate this difficult time alone. The Jefferson City, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are empathetic, talented, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers accountable in Jefferson City, MO for their selfish behavior. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Jefferson City, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.