Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Troy, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Troy, MO. We all owe it to other people to follow the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When another driver drives drunk, they're making an incredibly selfish and irresponsible decision. If you or a family member was hurt as a result of that decision, you are entitled to seek justice in the form of a financial recovery. Car wrecks and their injuries are always unanticipated, and the financial hardships from medical expenses and lost wages are sudden and harsh. Halvorsen Klote's Troy, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have committed their careers to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal advocacy that large corporations have. If you were injured because someone made the awful decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Troy, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Although drunk driving deaths have diminished by almost half since 1982, there are still far too many people on the Troy, MO roads who jeopardize others by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and end up injuring you, the Troy, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to make sure they are held responsible and you are awarded the great financial recovery you need to heal.
As stated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed every day in drunk driving wrecks, which adds up to one death every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people annually. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after having too much to drink within the previous 30 days. The yearly cost of drunk driving accidents in the United States is over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 car crash injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost 20 percent of the 1,088 fatal collisions in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt because another person drove drunk in Troy, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Troy, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of more than .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While impaired by alcoholand/or illegal substances to an extent that makes the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
While it may be encouraging that there are severe punishments for drunk drivers, it doesn't help you recover compensation for your damages. Occasionally, drunk drivers can get out of a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lower charge. The Troy, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them to blame in your civil case and get you complete compensation for your injuries.
Below are some helpful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Troy, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | Troy, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is undoubtedly responsible for your injuries pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other parties who are liable. Missouri and Illinois both have what we call dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the laws are a little different in each state:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they displayed:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical action
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a blood alcohol content of over .08% alone is not prima facie, or legally sufficient to show liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to show the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Dropping their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Considerably impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is unusual in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a vendor to be responsible. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows an injured person to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can prove that the bought alcohol at that specific restaurant.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the vendor was a factor the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can prove that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller must to set liability caps for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Troy, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you receive will be based on the seriousness of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to win you great compensation for:
Economic damages, for instance:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning potential if your injuries cause an impairment that disallows you from performing the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, for example
- Emergency room bills
- Follow up doctors appointments
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or needed upgrades to your home
- Future estimated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical treatment
- Property damage, for example damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Troy, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal skills needed to secure you the maximum financial recovery that you deserve.
Other personal injury cases we take in Troy, MO are:
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Call HK Law Today
Troy, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made a selfish decision, and you do not have to go through this painful process by yourself. The Troy, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, skilled, and experienced in holding drunk drivers liable in Troy, MO for their careless actions. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Troy, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.
Attorney at Law
Samantha Orlowski is a practicing attorney Halvorsen Klote.
Samantha joined Halvorsen Klote in 2018 as a law clerk and has since become a practicing attorney. Sam's number one priority is to provide individualized experiences for each client to achieve the best results.