Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Springfield, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Springfield, MO. We all have a obligation to other people to obey the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When another person gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making a terribly selfish and thoughtless choice. If you or a loved one was harmed due to that decision, you deserve to pursue justice through a financial recovery. Auto crashes and the subsequent injuries are always unanticipated, and the financial effects from medical expenses and lost wages are sudden and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Springfield, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have committed their lives to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal representation that large corporations have. If you were injured because somebody made the horrible decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Springfield, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving fatalities have diminished by almost half since 1982, there are still much too many people on the Springfield, MO roads who put others in danger by drinking and driving. When they do and harm you, the Springfield, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make certain they are held responsible and you get the great compensation you need to be made whole again.
According to reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving collisions, which adds up to one person every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers acknowledged driving after drinking too much in the last 30 days. The yearly cost associated with drunk driving collisions in the United States adds up to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving contributed to 4,027 motor vehicle accident injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost 20 percent of the 1,088 fatal accidents in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt because another person drove drunk in Springfield, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Springfield, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of over .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While under the influence of alcoholand/or illegal substances to the point that a person is rendered unable to drive safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
While it's a good thing that there are severe consequences for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you recover compensation for your damages. Sometimes, drunk drivers can avoid a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Springfield, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them liable in your civil case and get you a great financial recovery for your injuries.
Below are some helpful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Springfield, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | Springfield, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is demonstrably to blame for your injuries under the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other parties who are liable. Missouri and Illinois each have what are known as dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the statutes vary between the two states:
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to win a dram shop case:
- If the drunk driver was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they showed:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical behavior
- Extreme physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a blood alcohol content of over .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally adequate to prove liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers must show the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Substantially impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is unusual in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a restaurant to be liable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows someone injured by a drunk driver to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can show that the bought alcohol at that specific restaurant.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant was a factor the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can show that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller must to set liability limits for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per individual when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Springfield, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The recovery you receive will count on the gravity of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to secure you full compensation for:
Economic damages, including:
- Lost wages for time you could not work due to your injuries
- Lost earning potential if your injuries result in a disability that prohibits you from carrying out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, for example
- Emergency room visits
- Subsequent doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or needed improvements to your home
- Future approximated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical treatment
- Property damage, for example damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Springfield, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, persistence, and legal skills necessary to deliver you the full financial recovery that you are owed.
Other cases we take in Springfield, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Springfield, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made an irresponsible decision, and you do not need to navigate this difficult time alone. The Springfield, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are empathetic, skilled, and experienced in holding drunk drivers responsible in Springfield, MO for their careless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Springfield, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.