Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Alton, IL
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Alton, IL. We all owe it to each other to obey the rules of the road and prioritize each other's safety. When someone drives drunk, they're making an incredibly selfish and thoughtless decision. If you or a loved one was injured as a result of that decision, you deserve to seek justice in the form of financial compensation. Motor vehicle wrecks and the injuries that accompany them are always unanticipated, and the financial hardships from medical expenses and lost wages are sudden and harsh. Halvorsen Klote's Alton, IL drunk driving accident lawyers have committed their lives to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal representation that large corporations have. If you were injured because somebody made the dreadful decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Alton, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving deaths have decreased by almost half since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Alton, IL roads who put others at risk by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and end up injuring you, the Alton, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to ensure they are held responsible and you receive the full financial recovery you need to heal.
According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving wrecks, which adds up to one death every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people annually. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after drinking too much within the previous 30 days. The annual cost associated with drunk driving wrecks in the United States adds up to over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 auto collision injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total auto crash injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts found that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal collisions in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed by a drunk driver in Alton, IL, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Alton, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is unlawful for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a BAC of more than .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While impaired by alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to an extent that renders the person unable to drive safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to half a year in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Although it's a good thing that there are strict punishments for people who drive drunk, it doesn't help you collect compensation for your injuries. Once in a while, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a less serious charge. The Alton, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them responsible in your civil case and get you the best possible financial recovery for your damages.
Below are some useful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Alton, IL:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Alton, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is obviously at fault for your damages under the negligence per se doctrine, there could be other people who are liable. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the laws are somewhat different in each state:
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to win a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," which means they displayed:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical action
- Considerable physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a blood alcohol content above .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally adequate to show fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers must show the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is relatively liberal in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" for a bar to be at fault. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone injured by a drunk driver to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can demonstrate that the bought alcohol at that specific restaurant.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar contributed to the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can show that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obliged to set liability caps for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those maximums are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual who suffered damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Recover? | Alton, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you collect will be based on the severity of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to secure you a great financial recovery for:
Economic damages, such as:
- Lost wages for time you could not work as a result of your injuries
- Lost earning potential if your injuries cause a disability that doesn't allow you to carry out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, such as
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or necessary improvements to your vehicle
- Future approximated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical appointments
- Property damage, for example damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Alton, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, perseverance, and legal talent necessary to deliver you the best possible financial recovery that you deserve.
Other personal injury cases we take in Alton, IL are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Alton, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because another person made a selfish decision, and you do not have to go through this painful process alone. The Alton, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are understanding, skilled, and experienced in holding drunk drivers accountable in Alton, IL for their reckless actions. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Alton, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.