Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Mexico, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Mexico, MO. We all have a obligation to each other to follow the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When another person drives drunk, they're making an extremely selfish and careless choice. If you or a family member was hurt as a consequence that decision, you have a right to pursue justice in the form of a financial recovery. Motor vehicle crashes and their injuries are always unanticipated, and the financial consequences from medical bills and lost wages are sudden and harsh. Halvorsen Klote's Mexico, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have devoted their lives to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal representation that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because another person made the horrible decision to drink and drive, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Mexico, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Though drunk driving fatalities have declined 45 percent since 1982, there are still far too many people on the Mexico, MO roads who put others in danger by drinking and driving. When they do and injure you, the Mexico, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight for you to make certain they are held responsible and you get the best possible compensation you need to heal.
As stated by reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed each day in drunk driving crashes, which adds up to one death every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people a year. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after having too much to drink within the last 30 days. The annual cost associated with drunk driving wrecks in the United States is over $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium reports that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 auto accident injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total motor vehicle crash injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost one-fifth of the 1,088 fatal wrecks in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 deceased drivers who were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been harmed because somebody else drove drunk in Mexico, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Mexico, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for someone to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of over .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While under the influence of alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to an extent that makes the person incapable of driving safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines no greater than $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
Though it may be encouraging that there are strict penalties for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you get compensation for your injuries. Sometimes, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lower charge. The Mexico, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them to blame in your civil case and get you the best possible compensation for your injuries.
Below are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Mexico, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Responsible for My Injuries? | Mexico, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is clearly at fault for your injuries under the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other parties who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, whereby your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor liable. Again, the statutes differ between the two states:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must demonstrate two things in order to win a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they displayed:
- Significantly uncoordinated physical action
- Considerable physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a BAC above .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally sufficient to show liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to prove the bar or restaurant and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Slurred speech
- Spilling their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Considerably impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is atypical in that the person who injured you did not need to be "visibly intoxicated" in order for a bar to be responsible. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone harmed by a drunk driver to make a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can show that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the vendor caused the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's drunkenness was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obligated to set liability maximums for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each person incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Mexico, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The recovery you collect will be based on the seriousness of your injuries and the skill of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you great compensation for:
Economic damages, such as:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning potential if your injuries cause a disability that disallows you from performing the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical costs, including
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical therapy
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or necessary improvements to your home
- Future estimated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical appointments
- Property damage, for example damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Mexico, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal talent required to deliver you the maximum compensation that you are owed.
Other personal injury cases we take in Mexico, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Mexico, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made a reckless decision, and you do not have to go through this confusing process by yourself. The Mexico, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, skilled, and experienced in holding drunk drivers liable in Mexico, MO for their reckless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the whole legal process, and give you every piece of information you require to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Mexico, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.