Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Belleville, IL
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Review.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Belleville, IL. We all owe it to each other to heed the rules of the road and value each other's safety. When somebody gets behind the wheel when they're drunk, they're making a terribly self-centered and reckless choice. If you or a loved one was hurt as a consequence that decision, you have a right to seek justice through financial compensation. Car crashes and the injuries that come with them are always unexpected, and the financial effects from medical expenses and lost wages are immediate and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Belleville, IL drunk driving accident lawyers have pledged their careers to offering the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal representation that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because somebody made the terrible decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Belleville, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
Although drunk driving fatalities have declined 45 percent since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Belleville, IL roads who endanger others by drinking and driving. When they do and harm you, the Belleville, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will fight on your behalf to make certain they are held accountable and you collect the best possible compensation you need to be made whole again.
As stated by reporting from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die each day in drunk driving crashes, which adds up to one fatality every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers confessed driving after drinking too much within the previous month. The yearly cost of drunk driving accidents nationwide totals more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 car wreck injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that almost 20 percent of the 1,088 fatal crashes in the state involved alcohol. Of 448 drivers who perished and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been injured because another person drove drunk in Belleville, IL, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Belleville, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for somebody to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of an automobile:
- With a BAC of at least .08
- While under the influence of alcohol
- While under the influence of alcohol, intoxicating compounds, drugs, or a combination thereof to the point that a person is rendered incapable of driving safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines up to $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having the ignition interlock device placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine no greater than $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine no greater than $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the the ignition interlock device placed on your vehicle for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation of 10 years.
Though it may be encouraging that there are strict punishments for drunk drivers, criminal penalties don't help you recover compensation for your damages. Occasionally, drunk drivers can evade a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lesser charge. The Belleville, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them to blame in your civil case and get you complete compensation for your damages.
Below are some informational links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Belleville, IL:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is at Fault for My Injuries? | Belleville, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is undoubtedly at fault for your damages according to the negligence per se doctrine, there might be other people who are at fault. Missouri and Illinois both have what we call dram shop laws, wherein your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor accountable. Again, the laws differ between the two states:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must prove two things in order to be successful a dram shop case:
- If the patron was "visibly intoxicated," which means they exhibited:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical action
- Considerable physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also stipulates that a BAC of more than .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally adequate to prove liability. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers will have to prove the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling over
- Slurring when they talk
- Dropping their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Considerably impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is unusual in that the person who caused you injury did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" for a restaurant to be liable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits someone hurt by a drunk driver to file a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can demonstrate that the bought alcohol at that specific bar.
- You can show that the alcohol sold by the bar was a factor the drunk driver's intoxication.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's inebriation was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller is obligated to set liability limits for Dram Shop cases. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each person who sustained damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Collect? | Belleville, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The compensation you receive will be based on the severity of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you a great financial recovery for:
Economic damages, such as:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning potential if your injuries lead to a disability that prohibits you from performing the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical expenses, for example
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or required upgrades to your home
- Future estimated medical expenses, such as further physical therapy or prescriptions, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical treatment
- Property damage, such as damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, for instance:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Belleville, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal skills needed to secure you the best possible compensation that you are entitled to.
Other personal injury cases we take in Belleville, IL are:
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
- Auto Crash Attorney
- Truck Crash Lawyers
Call HK Law Today
Belleville, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made a selfish decision, and you do not need to go through this difficult process alone. The Belleville, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are kind, skilled, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers responsible in Belleville, IL for their reckless behavior. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Belleville, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Attorney at Law
Joel Halvorsen and his partner Greg Klote founded the Halvorsen Klote law firm on the principle that injured people and their families should have access to the same quality legal representation as large insurance companies.
Attorney at Law
Greg Klote is a partner and founder of Halvorsen Klote.
Greg has successfully fought for people who were injured through no fault of their own. He became a lawyer to help make a difference in the lives of those who have been wronged and treated unfairly.
Attorney at Law
Samantha Orlowski is a practicing attorney Halvorsen Klote.
Samantha joined Halvorsen Klote in 2018 as a law clerk and has since become a practicing attorney. Sam's number one priority is to provide individualized experiences for each client to achieve the best results.