Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Granite City, IL
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Granite City, IL. We all owe it to other people to follow the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When another person drives drunk, they're making an incredibly self-centered and thoughtless choice. If you or a loved one was hurt as a result of that decision, you deserve to seek justice in the form of a financial recovery. Car wrecks and their injuries are always unexpected, and the financial consequences from medical costs and lost wages are instant and severe. Halvorsen Klote's Granite City, IL drunk driving accident lawyers have dedicated their lives to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high standard of legal representation that large corporations have. If you were injured because someone made the terrible decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Granite City, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving fatalities have decreased by almost half since 1982, there are still way too many people on the Granite City, IL roads who jeopardize others by getting behind the wheel drunk. When they do and injure you, the Granite City, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make certain they are held accountable and you are awarded the full compensation you need to heal.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people die every day in drunk driving accidents, which adds up to one fatality every 52 minutes, and over 10,000 people a year. According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers confessed driving after drinking too much in the last 30 days. The annual cost associated with drunk driving crashes in the United States totals more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium states that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 motor vehicle accident injuries and 287 fatalities, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total auto wreck injuries and fatalities, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts states that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal collisions in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 drivers who perished and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been injured by a drunk driver in Granite City, IL, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Granite City, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is against the law for someone to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a blood alcohol concentration of at least .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While impaired by alcoholand/or illegal substances to an extent that renders the person unable to drive safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of consequences:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines not exceeding $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and potentially having an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine of up to $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed on your vehicle for a minimum of 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation for a decade and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for a minimum of 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines up to $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines not exceeding $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
Even though it may be encouraging that there are stiff consequences for drunk drivers, it doesn't help you get compensation for your injuries. Once in a while, drunk drivers can avoid a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lower charge. The Granite City, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them to blame in your civil case and get you the best possible compensation for your damages.
The following are some helpful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Granite City, IL:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is Liable for My Injuries? | Granite City, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is obviously to blame for your injuries pursuant to the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other parties who are responsible. Missouri and Illinois each have what we call dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can assist you in holding a bar, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the rules are a bit different in each state:
According to Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must demonstrate two things in order to secure a victory in a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they showed:
- Significantly uncoordinated physical behavior
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a blood alcohol content of more than .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally sufficient to show fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers must show the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling over
- Slurred speech
- Tipping over their drink
- Knocking other people over
- Extremely impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is irregular in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" for a bar to be liable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, permits an injured person to bring a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship existed, meaning you can prove that the vendor sold the drunk driver alcohol.
- You can prove that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant contributed to the drunk driver's inebriation.
- You can demonstrate that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your injuries.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller must to set liability limits for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each person incurring damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death resulted in either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Granite City, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The financial recovery you receive will count on the significance of your injuries and the talent of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you a complete financial recovery for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time you could not work because of your injuries
- Lost earning capacity if your injuries result in an impairment that doesn't allow you to carry out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, for instance
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors visits
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as crutches or necessary improvements to your vehicle
- Future estimated medical costs, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical appointments
- Property damage, such as damage to your car
Noneconomic damages, for example:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Granite City, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, tenacity, and legal knowledge required to deliver you the best possible compensation that you are entitled to.
Other cases we take in Granite City, IL are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Granite City, IL Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because somebody else made a reckless decision, and you do not have to go through this difficult process by yourself. The Granite City, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are compassionate, talented, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers accountable in Granite City, IL for their reckless actions. We keep you informed throughout the duration of your case, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Granite City, IL drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.