Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Moscow Mills, MO
Call 817-51-HKLAW for a Free Consultation and Case Evaluation.
Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Moscow Mills, MO. We all owe it to other people to act in accordance with the rules of the road and keep each other safe. When someone drives drunk, they're making an incredibly self-centered and irresponsible choice. If you or a family member was hurt as a consequence that decision, you are entitled to pursue justice in the form of financial compensation. Motor vehicle crashes and the injuries that accompany them are always unexpected, and the financial repercussions from medical bills and lost wages are instant and profound. Halvorsen Klote's Moscow Mills, MO drunk driving accident lawyers have committed their lives to giving the injured and vulnerable in Missouri and Southern Illinois the same high quality legal representation that large insurance companies have. If you were injured because another person made the selfish decision to drive drunk, call HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.
Drunk Driving Statistics | Moscow Mills, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While drunk driving fatalities have declined by almost half since 1982, there are still far too many people on the Moscow Mills, MO roads who endanger others by drinking and driving. When they do and hurt you, the Moscow Mills, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will stand by your side and make certain they are held responsible and you collect the best possible financial recovery you need to heal.
According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 28 people are killed every day in drunk driving wrecks, which amounts to one person every 52 minutes, and more than 10,000 people a year. According to reporting from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in both Illinois and Missouri, 2.2 percent of drivers admitted to driving after drinking too much in the last month. The annual cost of drunk driving wrecks nationwide is more than $44 billion.
The Missouri Traffic Safety Compendium found that in 2021 alcohol and drug impaired driving was a factor in 4,027 auto crash injuries and 287 deaths, 8 percent and 28 percent of the state's total traffic-related injuries and deaths, respectively.
The Illinois 2020 Crash Facts reports that 19.7 percent of the 1,088 fatal accidents in the state could be contributed to alcohol. Of 448 drivers who died and were tested for alcohol, 37.1 percent tested positive.
If you've been hurt by a drunk driver in Moscow Mills, MO, call HK Law's drunk driving accident lawyers today at 817-51-HKLAW.
What Are the Drunk Driving Laws and Penalties in My State? | Moscow Mills, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
In both Missouri and Illinois, it is criminal for a person to drive or be in ”actual physical control” of a motor vehicle:
- With a BAC of over .08
- While impaired by alcohol
- While under the influence of alcoholand/or illegal substances to an extent that renders the person unable to drive safely
The two states differ somewhat in terms of penalties:
- First offense: Up to 6 months in jail, fines no greater than $1,000, a license revocation of 30 days and the possibility of having the ignition interlock device placed in your car.
- Second offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fine not exceeding $2,000, a license revocation of 1 year and the ignition interlock device placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- Third offense: Up to 4 years in jail, fine up to $10,000, a license revocation of 10 years and the an ignition-blocking breathalyzer placed in your car for at least 6 months.
- First offense: Up to 1 year in jail, fines no greater than $2,500 and a license revocation of 1 year.
- Second offense: A range of 5 to 364 days in prison, fines not exceeding $2,500 and a license revocation of 5 years.
- Third offense: A range of 10 days to 7 years in prison, fines up to $25,000 and a license revocation for a decade.
While it may be encouraging that there are strict punishments for drunk drivers, it doesn't help you receive compensation for your damages. Sometimes, drunk drivers can get out of a criminal conviction or plead guilty to a lower charge. The Moscow Mills, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote will still be able to hold them accountable in your civil case and get you the best possible financial recovery for your damages.
Below are some helpful links and FAQs from your HK Law Drunk Driver Accident Lawyers in Moscow Mills, MO:
- Ultimate Guide to Missouri Drunk Driving Accident Laws
- Who Is Liable in a Drunk Driving Accident?
- Can I Sue if My Loved One Was Killed by a Drunk Driver?
- Damages for Victims of Drunk Driving Accidents
- Can I Sue if I Was Hit by a Drunk Driver?
- What Do I Do if I'm Injured by a Drunk Driver?
Who is to Blame for My Injuries? | Moscow Mills, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
While a drunk driver is decidedly responsible for your damages according to the negligence per se doctrine, there may be other parties who are to blame. Missouri and Illinois both have what are referred to dram shop laws, through which your drunk driving accident lawyers can help you hold a restaurant, or other licensed alcohol vendor responsible. Again, the rules are a little different in each state:
Under Missouri Revised Statute §537.053, your drunk driving accident lawyers must show two things in order to win a dram shop case:
- If the customer was "visibly intoxicated," meaning they showed:
- Considerably uncoordinated physical behavior
- Substantial physical dysfunction
Revised Statute §537.053 also states that a BAC of more than .08% by itself is not prima facie, or legally adequate to support fault. You and your drunk driving accident lawyers need to demonstrate the establishment and their employees saw physical impairment, such as:
- Falling down
- Slurring when they talk
- Dropping their drink
- Knocking objects over
- Considerably impaired motor movements
Illinois's Dram Shop Law is uncommon in that the person who injured you did not have to be "visibly intoxicated" for a restaurant to be liable. 235 ILCS 5/6-21, the Illinois Liquor Control Act, allows someone injured by a drunk driver to file a claim against a licensed liquor vendor if:
- A vendor-patron relationship was established, meaning you can prove that the bought alcohol at that specific bar.
- You can demonstrate that the alcohol sold by the bar or restaurant contributed to the drunk driver's drunkenness.
- You can prove that the driver's intoxication was the proximate cause of your damages.
Each year, the Illinois Office of Comptroller must to set liability caps for Dram Shop claims. As of January 20, 2022 those caps are:
- $77,787.30 for each individual who sustained damages
- $95,073.37 per person when an injury or death led to either loss of support or loss of society.
What Compensation Can I Receive? | Moscow Mills, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers
The recovery you receive will depend on the significance of your injuries and the knowledge of your drunk driving accident lawyers. When you hire Halvorsen Klote, we'll fight to get you the best possible compensation for:
Economic damages, for example:
- Lost wages for time spent off work recovering
- Lost earning potential if your injuries result in an impairment that doesn't allow you to carry out the tasks of your job anymore
- Medical bills, including
- Emergency room bills
- Subsequent doctors appointments
- Physical rehabilitation
- In-home medical care
- Assistive devices such as wheelchairs or needed improvements to your home
- Future approximated medical bills, such as further physical therapy or medication, or replacement costs for assistive devices or joint replacements
- Transportation costs to and from medical appointments
- Property damage, for instance damage to your vehicle
Noneconomic damages, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of capacity to enjoy life
- Loss of consortium
The Moscow Mills, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote have the experience, persistence, and legal skills required to win you the great compensation that you deserve.
Other personal injury cases we take in Moscow Mills, MO are:
- Fatal Car Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident Attorney
- Bike Wreck Lawyer
- What to Do After a Car Accident
- Premises Liability Attorneys
- Automobile Injury Attorney
- Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
- Lawyer for Bicycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Injury Claim Lawyer
Call HK Law Today
Moscow Mills, MO Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers | Halvorsen Klote
You should not have to pay because someone else made an irresponsible decision, and you do not have to navigate this difficult time alone. The Moscow Mills, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of Halvorsen Klote are understanding, skilled, and accomplished in holding drunk drivers liable in Moscow Mills, MO for their reckless actions. We keep you informed throughout the entire legal process, and give you every piece of information you need to make the best decision for you and your family. Call the Moscow Mills, MO drunk driving accident lawyers of HK Law today at 866-382-4167 or contact us online.